I suppose now is just the right time to be thankful for all the things that has happened to me in the past year, especially since I've been moaning about the state of my existence at every opportunity I get. Here goes:
* Discovering Haruki Murakami I've known about Murakami's works for a long time, but I've always picked up another book over his. I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm thankful KLM delayed my flight home from Amsterdam in September cos' I bought my first copy of his book. I huddled in a little empty corner in Schipol, sitting on my red leather jacket, leaning against the wall and crying, and crying over Norwegian Wood. The haunting ambiguity and confusion that resonates throughout the novel was synonymous with my life, and how this man manages to string words so perfectly and effortlessly was mind-numbing, and I have been reading his novels one after another since.
* Holidaying vs Travelling I realised the two are very big differences. For me at least. The former are quickie, very often lavish sojourns that I spend doing nothing much more than reading by the beach - or attempting to get over my pathetic fear of deep sea waters by snorkelling and spending the nights partying like a crackhead rockstar. I think, despite the fact that I'd live like a pauper, scrounging for the last bits of change to make sure I make it through the many weeks ahead, I very much prefer travelling on my own. The exhilaration of going way to a foreign land where I know few, and I can remain completely anonymous is liberating. I could be anybody, and I could meet anyone. I think everybody should spend time travelling alone in their lives - my toes are curling thinking about the adventure I'd be embarking on come late January.
* Worldly Acquisitions Or in other words, things I've bought myself this year. Save for the usual random shoes and dresses, most of which don't cost that much, my favourite buys for the year 2009 are probably my second-hand Nikon D70 and my Juicy Couture charm bracelet. If we're talking intangible purchases, it has to be my trip to New York - also my most extravagant trip ever!
* New York City I couldn't miss out the most incredible city in the world from this list, could I? I remember watching Home Alone 2: Lost in New York with my family in '92, and I knew I had to make my way there someday. A couple years ago, I had the opportunity to head to the city on a school trip, but thank God, thank God I didn't get to - because making the trip on my own, after having been in the industry and making friends in the industry makes all the difference all together. Plus, New York was made more amazing hanging out with people I met travelling in Europe.
The people I met, the places and experiences I found myself in, the first-time-ever experiences I had in New York were biography-worthy, and some, perhaps, too scandalous for me to even pen down. Heh. I know I have been harping on and on about the city since June, but I can't help it - I'm in love!
In New York, Concrete jungle where dreams are made of, There's nothing you can’t do, Now you’re in New York, These streets will make you feel brand new, the lights will inspire you, Lets hear it for New York, New York, New York... ;o)
* Personal Support Group It's been a rough year, with people moving away [and some will come back!], people screwing other people [i.e.: me!] over, a lost job, a broken heart, amongst many other things, but I'm glad I have people I can depend on. They may not be in close proximity, but a text message will have them calling me hurriedly, and all worried. And those who are near, will go all out and break a limb or two for me, and for that I am nothing less than thankful.
* You For reading my blog after all this time! I've made the move to my own domain, something I've wanted to do for the longest time, and I've managed to, with the help of the fabulous Kate. I don't know what next year will bring, and I'm being more honest than ever - but we'll know this blog will be here for a long time to come. :o)
* Special Mentions Crazy nights of partying and clutching my head in the office morning after / Wicked shoots that has made my portfolio crazy - much thanks to the lovely photographers, makeup gurus and styling assistants I've worked with / Benne :o) / Boxing classes that make me ache like crazy but also ache for more! / Making peace with the parents / Slowly overcoming my fear of deep seas / Making new friends, meeting new people / Zoie Jean - smartest/cutest 19-month-old on the planet / First! Fashion! Show! / Gossip Girl, Private Practice, Grey's Anatomy, The City, How I Met Your Mother, Californication, The Big Bang Theory/ One of my favourite songs/ videos of 2009, thanks to Maria:
What a year it has been, honeybunnies! I can't believe it's over - and thank God it is. I'm sending over a virtual hug for an amazing job getting thru the year, and here's to a kickass 2010!
What's on your 2009 Love List?